Philip Alford is owner/operator of Phil Alford Farms nearLewisville(LafayetteCounty). He is credited with developing the first successful large scale stocker cattle operation in southwestArkansas. Through the years he has mentored numerous ranchers who sought his help in starting their own stocker operations and was one of the founding members of the Arkansas Cattlemen’s Association in 1958. He helped establish the Lafayette County Livestock Auction in 1959. Alford built a feedlot in 1966 with an initial capacity of 4,500 cattle. Later he was regularly handling 15,000 to 20,000 head a year. Alford was also instrumental in turning thousands of acres of non-productive river bottomland into quality crop and pastureland through the formation of Drainage Districts. He made numerous trips toWashingtonand worked closely with Sens. J. William Fulbright and John L. McClellan and Rep. Oren Harris in getting the districts approved. In 2008 Alford was honored for 37 years of dedicated service as past President and member of the Southwest Arkansas Water District Board. Known as “Mr. Phil” to everyone at Farm Credit Services of Western Arkansas, Alford has been associated with the lending institution for 52 years and is a past chair of its board of directors. He has served on numerous other boards and commissions and is a staunch supporter of higher education. A graduate ofTexasA&MUniversity, Alford and his wife Dorothy donated $100,000 to the school’sTexarkanacampus in 2005 for an endowed scholarship. Alford was also a World War II war hero, having been decorated with two Bronze Stars, an Oak Leaf and Purple Heart for acts of heroism and valor during the conflict. Born in 1922, Alford continues to serve in his church and community.